Microsoft is interested in collecting and publicizing more examples of people using Visio to visualize business information.
This contest is sponsored by Microsoft to encourage their customers from a select group of companies to share examples of Visio diagrams along with narrative discussing how those diagrams are used to save money and create business impact.
The first 25 qualified entrants will receive an 8GB USB memory stick; winners will receive prizes of $1,500, $500 and $250 Visa gift cards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, respectively. See the complete rules below.
The Contest winner is Brad Koppelman Of TECO Energy! See his entry here: http://www.govisualize.com/contest/Lists/Contest%20entry/AllItems.aspx
MICROSOFT VISIO CUSTOMER CASE STUDY CONTEST
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Visio Customer Case Study contest promotion will operate (“Contest”).
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest.
The Microsoft Visio Customer Case Study Contest is to recognize those companies using Microsoft Visio solutions to realize demonstrated business impact. The object of this Contest is to recognize the best Solution(s). For purposes of this Contest, “Solution” means a product application or implementation that: (i) uses Microsoft Visio; (ii) alleviates customer pain or solves a related business problem and (iii) demonstrates business impact.
Customers will be asked to describe their successful implementation of a Solution and demonstrate how the Solution added business value. For purposes of this contest, each “solution” you create will be called an “entry”. All eligible entries received will be judged using the criteria described below to determine the winners of the prizes described below.
NOTE: If your company has any proprietary rights in and to the Solution you submit, as a condition of entering this Contest, your company must be willing and able to grant to Microsoft the right and permission to feature and otherwise describe the Solution in a case study and to use the case study for promotional, editorial, demonstration or any other related purposes, and upload and distribute the Visio diagrams. If your company is not willing to and/or is unable to grant such permission, then you should not enter the Solution in this Contest.
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on April 5, 2010, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on May 30, 2010 (“Entry Period”).
CAN I ENTER?
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
You are an authorized representative of a company legally domiciled the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia); and
You are a legal resident of the 50 United States and District of Columbia 18 years of age or older; and
If you are 18 of age or older, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry into this Contest; and
Your company is a first party recipient of an official invitation to enter the Contest; and
· You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
· You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
· You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY?
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
· In at least 500 words describe:
o your company’s successful implementation of a Solution
o how the Solution demonstrated that it added business impact
o include a Visio diagram (can be with sample data)
o how the diagram was used
o what benefits the Solution has brought
· your entry must be your own original work; and
· your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
· you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
· your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
· is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
· promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
· is obscene or offensive;
· defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
· communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
· are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed), and (iii) the right and permission to feature and otherwise describe the Solution in a case study and to use the case study for promotional, editorial, demonstration or any other related purposes, and upload and distribute the Visio diagrams.
· agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
· understand and acknowledge that the Promotion Parties may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
· understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
· understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW DO I ENTER?
In order to participate in this Contest, you must:
1) Enter your name and email on the Contest web form at http://www.govisualize.com/contest/Lists/Request%20access%20for%20contest%20entry/overview.aspx to get login and password, required to upload the entry.
2) Go to the Contest web site at http://www.govisualize.com/contest/default.aspx and complete and submit the online entry form, including submission of your entry, as instructed.
We will only accept five (5) entries per company.
We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify:
· Any incomplete or illegible entry; and
· Any entries that we receive from you that are in excess of the entry limit described above.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
The first twenty-five (25) entries received will automatically receive the “Entry Prize” described in the Contest Prize section below.
On or around the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select winners of the Contest Prizes described below based upon judging criteria described below.
· 100.00% - Clearly demonstrates business impact:
Demonstrates money savings
Demonstrates time savings
Demonstrates process/quality improvement
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above.
In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than the number of Contest Prizes described below.
Twenty-five (25) Entry Prizes. A(n) USB stick. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $16.50
One (1) First Prize. A(n) Visa Gift Card . Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $1,500.00.
One (1) Second Prize. A(n) Visa Gift Card . Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $500.00.
One (1) Third Prize. A(n) Visa Gift Card . Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $250.00.
The total Approximate Retail Value (ARV) of all prizes: $2,662.50
Except for the first 25 entries received that also receive the Entry Prize, we will only award one (1) prize per company.
If your company is a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address, the phone number, or mailing address (if any) provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to a runner-up.
All prizes will be awarded to the principal of winning company identified in the registration process. Principal is solely responsible for prize distribution. If for any reason the advertised prize consideration is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the company receiving prizes, and an authorized representative will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release within 10 days of notification before any prizes are awarded, as may be applicable, determined and specified by Microsoft in its discretion. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select an alternate, randomly selected winner. Microsoft is not responsible for any liability, cost or injury incurred by company and/or arising out of or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, equipment, software, network or systems that fail, have viruses or other problems, are breached or that cause injury or damage to participants or their property.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest you agree:
· To abide by these Official Rules; and
· To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
· That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
· That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the names of winners who received a prize worth $25.00 or more online at http://www.govisualize.com/default.aspx. This list will remain posted one month after May 30, 2010.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
To submit an entry:
Mike Kremer, MS, PMP, is a twelve year Microsoft employee who is passionate about improving business performance with the appropriate use of software. Mike's focus is on Business Process Management, Visual Business Intelligence and Project Management.
Connect with Mike at LinkedIn